Fool’s Gold, as I’ve said and will continue to say over and over again, is my favorite record label of the moment. Let me count the reasons why:
- The label hosts some of my favorites including A-Trak, Flosstradamus, Treasure Fingers, Crookers and plays liaison to tons of other unsigned and very talented DJ’s, producers and hip-hop emcees
- They release Clubhouse compilations regularly with tons of free and amazing music, and host on-site “Clubhouses” at many major music festivals
- A-Trak’s monthly Fool’s Gold radio show is not only one of the best in terms of song selection and mixing, but is also probably the funniest I’ve ever heard, thanks to quirky and comedic narration by A-Trak himself
- They host really cool events, like the Fools Gold Day Off and House Party Tour, not to mention this weekend’s free Brooklyn anniversary extravaganza (keep reading for more on that)
- They have a Tumblr dedicated to girls wearing Fool’s Gold merchandise in sexy situations
- They represent everything an independent label should: soley concerned with good music and not influenced by arbitrary constructs like genres or fame
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Fool’s Gold has created more than a label: it’s a culture, a movement and a way of life. I’m proud to rep it because I’m proud of everything they do. So let me get into some more reasons why you should be obsessed, starting with their latest Clubhouse compilation. The third installment in the Clubhouse series of free ‘mixtapes’ brings the same different and funky tunes we’ve come to expect. My favorite tracks on here have to be Baxta‘s “Whatever”, Mason‘s “Get It Together” and 813‘s “Sanctum” but, of course, they’re all worth picking up and the tape runs the entire spectrum of sounds imaginable.
Next up is A-Trak’s latest Fool’s Gold Radio mix for the month of October. I nearly wet my pants when I saw that A-Trak and Tommy Trash‘s collaboration “Tuna Melt” made it on there, as that can only mean it’s being released soon and I’ve been waiting for this one ALL SUMMER after hearing it in several sets. Commentary from A-Trak is also on point as always. Tracklist here.
Finally, for those of you in the NYC/Brooklyn area, Fool’s Gold is celebrating their fifth anniversary with a massive free show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. Being headlined by Wu-Tang’s Ghostface Killah, A-Trak and Flosstradamus with support from other Fool’s Gold artists and promised special guests, it’s going to be an insane time. Get all the details here and be sure to get there early cause this bitch is sure to fill up.