I’m no stranger to music festivals. But when a vast majority of them call for me to be dressed in clothing that saves me from the heat, this will be the first time I’ll be attending an event dressed in layers to protect me from the dead-of-winter cold. This “event” I’m referring to is SnowGlobe Music Festival happening for its fifth year in South Lake Tahoe from December 29-December 31 2015. For those who don’t know, Tahoe is known as a premier ski/snowboard destination located on the boarder of Northern California and Western Nevada. Warm Summers on the lake and cold Winters in the mountains, Tahoe has something for everyone – including a large destination electronic, dance, and hip-hop music festival (oh, and 24-hour casinos too).
SnowGlobe has made a name for itself by showing North America that music festivals don’t have to exist solely during the Summer. SnowGlobe has also made a name for itself by consistently inviting some of the world’s biggest talent to the Sierra Nevada mountains, to ring in the new year in a way that’s void of cocktail dresses, open bars, ball drops, crowded streets, and…. warmth. Over the years acts like Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, Deadmau5, Tiesto, Disclosure, Flume, Skrillex, and Zedd have graced the SnowGlobe stages with their presence. There have also been some repeat offenders like Dillon Francis and Kaskade who both return this year for another go-around.
So what has me so excited about the largest outdoor New Years Eve music festival in the nation? Is it the dynamic fireworks displays, live “Big Air” snowboard and skiing demos in between Main Stage sets, 13,000 square feet of heated enclosed spaces to stay cozy, live art painting, nearby skiing, or after parties? Well yes, it’s all of those things but ultimately it’s the music. And because it’s first and foremost about the music, here are my top-5 acts to see at SnowGlobe 2015:
- Eric Prydz – he’s within my top-5 dance artists of all time and I could argue as to why he’s my #1. I’ve seen him live multiple times and his productions and live sets are unlike any other out there. It will be a true treat seeing Mr. Prydz in the mountains of Tahoe.
- Jack Ü – Diplo & Skrillex are on top of the world right now and I’m looking forward to turning way up past 1000000 to rage with these guys.
- Dirtybird – I’m just lumping these guys into one pick. If you have the chance to see Claude VonStroke, Justin Martin, Justin Jay, Shiba San, J. Phlip, and/or Will Clarke, do it. You won’t regret all the infectious booty bass coming straight at you.
- Chet Faker – amazing voice, really curious to see what his live show is all about.
- Cut Copy (DJ Set) – again, I want to see these guys with my own eyes and ears. I always hear great things about their live sets and their sound is pretty unique thanks to their Australian ways. Will we hear pop? Will we hear funk? House? Probably all of that and I’m damn ready for it!
And how about those after parties? Each night has multiple venues offering multiple shows for you to continue the party at. We’re spanning genres and making sure to keep the spirit of the Sierras alive, this time in a warm and intimate setting. Check out the full list of parties and buy your tickets HERE. Last-minute tickets to #SG15 are on sale so don’t snooze and miss out on this opportunity! See everyone up in Tahoe and watch out social media for live updates!